Academy International Elementary School
Academy International Elementary School (AIES) is a neighborhood/choice school offering the International Baccalaureate Primary Years Programme (IBPYP). AIES opened in 1998 as the first public PYP school in the Americas. We are proud to be a flagship school for the IB Organization.
As well as being an IBPYP school, we also offer a French immersion program. Students in grades 1-5 have the option to be in a partial French immersion classroom, where math and science are taught in French. At these grade levels, we have two "traditional" classrooms and two "immersion" classrooms. All students, K-5, receive French instruction with a specials teacher.
Academy International is recognized as a School of Excellence. We have received the John Irwin School of Excellence every year since it was initiated by the State of Colorado.
Laura McNally serves as the principal of AIES. This is her 4th year as principal and her 10th year in District 20.
Mrs. McNally's vision is to maximize learning for all students by sustaining a rigorous IBPYP program. She believes in strong partnerships between the home and school and high expectations lead to high achievement for all. It is her hope that staff, families and administration can work together to meet the diverse needs of all students and to provide the best opportunities in preparing them to be world class citizens ready to master the challenges they will face in the future.
- Enrollment - about 590 students
- Student population - 66% Caucasian, 12% Asian/Pacific Islander, 10% Hispanic, 6% African American, and 6% multiple ethnicities
- 24 classrooms - four at each level K-5
- Class size average - 27 students
- Staff - two full time administrators, 40 certified instructors, and about 20 support staff. All of these educators work closely with the classroom teacher to meet students' needs.
- Core curriculum - reading, writing, speaking, math, science, and social studies
- Specials - music, physical education, art, library, technology, and French
- Before and after school clubs are also offered to enrich the curriculum